07 July 2011

Review: Falling for Hamlet by Michelle Ray

Hey guys! Let's get this party started!! Today I have for you a review of Falling for Hamlet by Michelle Ray, which just came out Tuesday July 5. Here's the synopsis:

Falling for Hamlet
Meet Ophelia: a blonde, beautiful high-school senior and long-time girlfriend of Prince Hamlet of Denmark. Her life is dominated not only by her boyfriend's fame and his overbearing family, but also by the paparazzi who hound them wherever they go. As the devastatingly handsome Hamlet spirals into madness after the mysterious death of his father, the King, Ophelia rides out his crazy roller coaster life, and lives to tell about it. In live television interviews, of course. Passion, romance, drama, humor, and tragedy intertwine in this compulsively readable debut novel, told by a strong-willed, modern-day Ophelia. (Goodreads)

I love modern re-tellings of classics so I loved this book.  I've never read the original version of Hamlet but I have seen the play so I do know the story line.  Falling for Hamlet is an almost exact parallel with Hamlet, but the only difference is that it's told from Ophelia's point of view.  I loved the romance between Hamlet and Ophelia and also the crossed romances.  I also liked how throughtout the book you can see the interogation between her and the police and also the interview between her and a talk show host.  I thought that was really cool.  Towards the end the book gets really tense and tragic.  It's a really sad novel but a really great re-telling of a classic Shakespearean play.  If you love Hamlet and modern re-tellings of novels then this is the book for you!

MY RATING:

For more info on Michelle Ray click here

To purchase the book: Amazon and BN

If you like modern retellings, Hamlet, and mystery novels then I have a great book for you here.


5 comments:

The Flashlight Reader said...

I almost bought this Wednesday when I saw it! Glad you read it already, because I was waiting to see what people thought.

I love retellings too. I was curious to see how this more modern retelling would play out. It seemed very unique, as far as format goes.

If you liked this, you really need to read Ophelia. (can't remember the author) It's the Hamlet story told from Ophelia's POV, but it's more classic than modern. It is wonderful!

Elizabeth said...

NEW FOLLOWER.

Love your blog design.

Giveaway for NIGHT TRAIN going on at my blog until July 25.

Stop by to enter if you like.

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2011/06/book-giveawaythe-night-train-by-clyde.html

Unknown said...

Hey! New Follower! Really like the blog!

I've never heard of this book before but the cover you posted on book blogs caught my eye. I think it's fantastic and I won't lie, I am the occasional sucker for a great cover.

I love Shakespeare reworked! I haven't read many novel adaptions but I have watched Ten Things I Hate About You and Romeo and Juliet with lovely Leo! I'm definitely going to add this to my reading list. Infact... I'm hopping on over to Amazon right now!

Thanks for the review!

Amber @ The Spine-Breaker's Club

Hopewell said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look foward to reading more on YOUR blog, too.

Lisa @ http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot.com

Ninja Girl said...

Ooooh, this sounds good! I really like the title as well. May have to give it a look :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I'm following you now.
Hope you have a great weekend,
Ninja Girl

About Me

Total Pageviews

Upcoming Reviews

Sing by Vivi Greene

Ahoy Mateys!

Hey guys! My name is Cierra and I'm a southern college YA bookie. Thanks for stopping by Books Ahoy. Here you'll find reviews, giveaways, interviews, and more! Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy your stay! :)
Follow on Bloglovin
Follow on Bloglovin

Rating System

AMAZING!!! Go get this book right now!!

Great! Highly Recommend

It's ok. Borrow from a friend material.

Not that good but at least read the blurb.

Leave it on the shelf!

Currently Looting


Sing by Vivi Greene

Steal Me Loot!

Me Fellow Mateys!

Designed by